Friday, November 04, 2005

Survey says...

Source: Yahoo Finance

According to a recent survey conducted by Careerbuilder.com entitled, "Out of the Office 2005", a whopping 43% of respondents revealed that they had called in sick with a fake excuse in the last twelve months, up from 35% in the 2004 survey.

Unfortunately for some employees, their day of hooky ended up with a pink slip as 23% of managers surveyed reported that they had fired an employee for missing work with a faux illness.

The most popular day for faking an illness was Wednesday (27%) followed closely by Monday (26%) and Friday (14%). The most popular reasons for calling in sick included catching up on sleep (23%) and simply not feeling like working (17%). The excuses provided by employees ran the gamut from the mundane to the exotic. The Careerbuilder.com survey highlighted some of the more bizarre excuses provided to managers including:
  • I'm too drunk to drive to work.
  • My boyfriend's snake got loose and I'm afraid to leave the bedroom until he gets home.
  • I'm too fat to get into my work pants.
  • My cow bit me.
  • My son accidentally fell asleep next to wet cement in our backyard. His foot fell in and we can't get it out.
  • My house lock jammed and I'm locked in.

No comments: