Sunday, September 11, 2005

I love Netflix!

First of all, Netflix is not my wife’s name. It’s not even a woman. (Not a man either.) For those who have never heard of Netflix before, it’s an inexpensive online DVD rental service that sends your selected DVDs through mail. I have been a Netflix subscriber for about half year now, and all I can say is “wow”. As a movie lover, I absolutely recommend Netflix to anyone who also enjoys movies.

I used to hate rentals. To rent a DVD is painful, and to return it is even worse. I usually couldn’t find the movie of my first choice and had to settle for something else. That’s why I ended up buying quite a few DVDs. But Netflix is different. You can actually rent movies without driving, walking, or flying to any rental stores. All you need to do is to select the movies online and they will magically appear in your mailbox couple days later. When you are returning the movies, you simply put the DVDs into the pre-paid envelops and send them out through regular mail. Netflix is simple, painless, and hassle-free. There is no late fees, no unavailability, no irritating waiting line, no need to sign your credit card every time you rent, no complicated planning when to make the trip to the so-called-“nearby”-but-actually-not-so-close Block Buster.

It is not only convenient, but also cheap. For an unlimited 3-disc out plan, it’s only $18/month. If you watch 9 DVDs a month, it’s just $2 per movie. It’s a lot cheaper than buying the DVDs and watch only twice, if not less. It’s also cheap compared to movie theaters. The mere 18-bucks probably only covers one person for one movie in NYC nowadays. I am paying about $80/month for my cable, but I seldom watch them now (unless it’s sports-related) after I got Netflix.

Another major benefit of Netflix is the movie selection it offers. The movie database on Netflix is massive. With over 50,000 titles, it’s extremely difficult to find nothing interesting (unless you are chronically depressed and suicidal). The Netflix system is actually very smart. It can recommend movies to you based on your past rating and renting history. You may end up watching some very entertaining French or Spanish movies that you’ve never heard of. To be honest, Hollywood sucks right now and I am very disappointed at most of the stupid crap that pours out of this American pop-culture garbage can. So I’d rather grab a beer and watch great movies from all over the world at the convenience of my own apartment.

I can’t say enough good words for Netflix. You have to join it to experience this wonderful service.

No comments: