Friday, April 03, 2009

First Week Homework - Write a place you feel comfortable with (1-page)

My first visit to “Atlas Café” was purely for its free wireless internet. After I moved to Williamsburg last August, the first thing I asked around was a comfortable place where I can write, read, and surf freely. The word “freely” was defined strictly as “undisturbed” and “zero cost”. Atlas Café was then recommended to me by a friend. After spending an entire afternoon there, I found myself a favorite spot in the neighborhood.

I like the way Atlas Café smells. The scent of brewed coffee mixed with toasted bread soothingly lingers in the air, not too aggressive, nor too evasive, just the right amount to stimulate my senses.

I also enjoy Atlas’ atmosphere as it reminds me of the place I grew up in — it feels more like a family kitchen than a commercial space. The Café looks aged and full of memories. Most furniture is made of brown wood with noticeable wear-and-tear. The menu is handwritten on the yellowish wall, and next to it is a gigantic dog-eared world map. Fresh loaves of bread are visible on the shelves behind the counter. I often spend a whole day there, satisfying not only my mind but also my stomach, thanks to a long list of interesting drinks and delicious food Atlas has to offer.

The place is popular and often crowded, yet somehow I can always find a table. The south and east side walls are made of clear glass, allowing plenty of sunshine to pour in. From inside, I can quietly observe some college kids chatting, laughing, and resting on the benches outside. I feel like an integral part of this vibrant community while having my own peaceful domain.

Oh, did I mention its fast and free wireless internet?

No comments: